Assist with picking up and delivering donations, materials, or recycling waste, depending on current assignment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
· Provides excellent customer service, interacting with customers and SVdP employees in a courteous and appropriate manner.
· Listens attentively to any service complaints and reports all complaints to the Warehouse Supervisor.
· Loads and unloads donations, garbage, or recycling (depending on current assignment) as requested by supervisor.
· Guides driver with proper hand signals from outside the truck.
· Loads, unloads, and operates around trucks in a safe manner and follows all other safety policies and procedures.
· Prepares incoming or outgoing materials for loading and unloading.
· Helps keep truck cab clean and organized.
· Helps clean and maintain recycling areas.
· Advises driver if unsafe conditions exist for the truck or the conditions in the work area are unsafe for loading or unloading.
· Makes certain that hand trucks, dollies, and other truck equipment remains with the truck after each stop.
· Gives special attention to priorities designated by Driver and Department Supervisor.
· May work in other areas when not needed for trucking operations.
· Works within the framework of the Society’s mission and objectives.
High school diploma or GED preferred, but not required.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, safety information, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the Society. Able to read and interpret driving instructions, maps (e.g., Thomas guide), and street signs. Able to pass truck driving test administered by St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) staff.
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10s and 100s. Ability to perform these operations using U.S. currency.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Ability to use a standard telephone and wireless audio communication system.
Certificates and Licenses
Valid Driver’s license.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is exposed near moving mechanical parts; fumes and airborne particles; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is often loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see and talk. Employee must be able to lift and carry objects weighing 50 lbs. for short distances and must be able to push and pull objects weighing up to 200 lbs.
Employee must also be capable of the following:
· Be able to stand, walk, and lift for a substantial part of each shift.
· Have well-developed fine motor control and the ability to grasp, handle, finger, and manipulate small and large items.
· Be able to perform repetitive fine motor functions with fingers, wrists, arms and waist.
· Have full range of body motion with the ability to regularly reach above head, stoop, bend, twist, and squat.
· Must be able to pack and unload trucks.
· Must be able to move across a wide variety of surfaces including, but not limited to, ramps, stairs, and uneven terrain, move over objects that may be in employee’s path, and repeatedly get into and out of the organization’s trucks.