Job Title: Peer Connector Date Prepared: May 26, 2019
Department: Centro Rendu Prepared By: Human Resources
Reports To: Youth Program Manager
Summary: Centro Rendu of St. Vincent de Paul provides mentoring and case management services for youth opportunities in secondary and post-secondary re-engagement programs that support pathways to graduation for youth 16 to 24 who have been disconnected or are severely behind in high school credits. It also provides case management, academic support strategies, school advocacy, family case management services and youth development activities for students ages 11-17.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities of this position shall include, but are not limited to the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed:
- Works collaboratively with Centro Rendu personnel, case managers and youth program staff. Collaborates with other Centro Rendu initiatives in the development and implementation of Latinx family engagement and support programs.
- Provides Case Management to youth in programs
- Helps co-facilitate youth groups as needed.
- Conducts home visits as needed to address family barriers and to provide resources and services in the home (COVID related guidelines will be followed during this period).
- Develops working relationships with other providers and service agencies, especially those who work with a similar population.
- Communicates effectively with Latinx families and service providers, including school district personnel and college reengagement program staff.
- Attends meetings related to program planning and implementation, learning circles, community meetings and networking opportunities as assigned by Youth Program Coordinator and/or Youth Program Manager
- Participates actively in family engagement activities in schools and communities where Centro Rendu has access (primarily in South King County) such as but not limited to orientation nights, weekly reports to parents, parent meeting/conferences and activities in Catholic parishes and schools.
- Maintain client’s progress notes on our client-based database “Charity Tracker”, assistance and outcomes up to date, which includes grant reports to determine achieved program milestones and measurable results.
- Use mediation/conflict resolution and de-escalation skills and motivational interviewing with open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, summarizing, coaching, supporting, and guiding the individual and family to achieve their goals.
- Remain up-to-date on evidence-based practices, participate in trainings, department meetings, and in-service trainings, and adheres to Latino focused practices.
- Assists in the recruitment of youth program participants utilizing non-traditional and culturally relevant methods of engagement.
- Work within the framework of the SVdP’s values, practices and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: Bi-cultural and Bilingual in Spanish and possess the prerequisite experience and skills in interviewing and assessing clients as well as demonstrating cross-cultural competency and understanding the principles of equity and inclusion. Understands challenges faced by Latinx youth.
Location: Burien, Seatac, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Tukwila
The ideal candidate will have a BA in social work or related field, 3+ years of proven experience.
Bilingual English/Spanish speaking ability is required. This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ease in addressing groups of clients and communicating with diverse workgroups. Ability to read, analyze, and understand general business periodicals, journals, technical procedures, safety manuals, and regulations. Must have the ability to write reports and business correspondence.
The individual in this position must have the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and ability to apply concepts such as fraction, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Must be able to understand common financial reports, payroll records, and cash management reports.
The ability to solve practical problems quickly and in situations where limited standardization. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer proficiency using Microsoft Office software is required. Familiarity with client-based software and email communications will be essential to regular communications and reporting.
Certificates and Licenses