Job Title: Crew Member
Prepared By: Human Resources
Reports To: Store Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Summary: Saint Vincent de Paul crew members work in production engaging in receiving, sorting, pricing and other activities related to processing donations to be placed on the sales floor. Team-member job responsibilities include operating a cash register, running the donation station by interacting effectively with donors, cleaning the store, and completing other assigned tasks. Goals are set each month to support the Store Manager in meeting store objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist Manager in conducting quality control checks through various stages of production.
- Understand and explain donation criteria to donors and provide receipts. Evaluate donated items to determine if they are acceptable for donation.
- Maintain donation station ensuring it is clean, orderly, and safe.
- Inform supervisor of status of donation station, available container footage, and condition.
- Load and unload trucks as assigned including garbage, recycling, and route trucks, as required.
- Maximize workspace and production processes to increase productivity.
- Open and close store while adhering to all opening and closing procedures, as required.
- Provide training of new and existing staff and cross-train where necessary.
- Wear appropriate company attire including nametag, as directed by management.
- Move and carry materials and items from intake to storage, customer areas, or maintenance areas.
- Open boxes, crates, bags, and other containers, as required.
- Examines, sorts, and places donated items on racks, shelves, or in bins according to policy and procedure.
- Recycle donations according to company criteria.
- Record amounts of materials or items received and distributed.
- Fill work orders or requests for materials or other stock items and distribute them as directed.
- Price donations with identifying information as directed by management’s guidelines.
- Keep work area clean.
- Maintain pricing equipment and color codes.
- Provide accurate, fast, and efficient check-out service by processing payment and wrapping or bagging customers’ items.
- Properly manage cash and change; keep register closed and locked (except when necessary); provide accurate receipts; remove and record amount of cash in register at the end of the shift; maintain an orderly cash drawer, and prepare Daily Sales Report (DSR) , as required.
- Relieves other workers during peak work periods.
- Properly handle and calculate vouchers, cash, checks, and charge transactions; accurately completes all documentation; and follows all cash control policies.
- Work assigned shifts and provides friendly and courteous customer service when assisting customers. Such service includes answering questions, taking responsibility for customers’ concerns, and assisting in locating merchandise. All workers must make eye contact, smile, and greet all customers who come within 10 feet of the staff member while the staff member is in customer areas.
- Answers the telephone efficiently and courteously, offering assistance to the caller as appropriate. Uses the intercom in a professional and appropriate manner, as required.
- Performs floor tasks. Floor tasks include organizing clothing racks, picking up items off the floor; restocking; dusting; cleaning; straightening shelves; reorganizing display racks; maintaining dressing rooms; collecting and organizing shopping carts.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and litter-free store, including shopping aisles, check-out area, and front and rear entrances.
- Assists Store Manager with stocking and displaying merchandise.
- Watch for shoplifting and price switching and report any suspicious activity to the Store Manager on duty.
- Compare cash register totals with receipts in register to verify accuracy of transactions.
- Allocates operating funds to cashiering stations.
- Works in a safe manner and follows all company safety guidelines.
- Achieves and maintains a record of punctual and reliable attendance.
- Works with the proper attitude that exemplifies the Society’s Statement of Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have a minimum of 1 year experience preferably in a thrift retail environment.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, safety information, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the Society.
Ability to work with fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions. Must be able to understand common cash management reports.
Ability to solve practical problems quickly and in situations where limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to properly operate store equipment including cash register and calculator.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The environment is a thrift retail store, which attracts a diverse customer population. An employee may encounter dust and temperature fluctuations and will have daily exposure to household chemicals. The noise level is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see and talk. The employee must be able to lift and carry objects weighing 50 lbs. for short distances and must be able to push and pull objects weighing up to 200 lbs.
The employeemust also be capable of the following:
Be able to stand, walk, and lift for a substantial part of each shift.
Have well-developed fine motor control and the ability to grasp, handle, finger, and manipulate small and large items.
Have full range of body motion with the ability to regularly reach above head, stoop, bend, twist, and squat.
- Be able to perform repetitive fine motor functions with fingers, wrists, arms and waist.
- Must be able to move across a wide variety of surfaces including, but not limited to, ramps, stairs, and move over objects that may be in employee’s path.