Because we sell things to support our programs, we cannot accept donations that we cannot sell. We can’t sell stuff that is torn, ripped, stained, broken or worn out. When we have to pay to dispose of unsellable donations, money is taken away from our programs. Our garbage fees total over $60,000 per year, so when as little as $100 can prevent eviction and help a family avoid homelessness, those garbage fess really detract from our work to help our struggling neighbors. Please help us with this difficult job.
Our Neighbors Deserve the Best We Can Give
Our neighbors deserve the best we can give. And that is not garbage! We say, “We are very sorry, we just can’t sell stuff that is torn, ripped, stained, broken or worn out.” We know garbage prices are high. Our garbage fees total over $60,000 per year and we are working very hard to reduce it to keep as much money as we can in our programs to help people. Please help us with this difficult job. Help us secure gently used items we can sell.
Items We Sell
We sell things in our stores that people want to buy. We sell over $4,000,000 worth of donated goods on an annual basis. Our purpose in doing this is to raise funds for our organization. That is another reason why we can’t and don’t take certain items. Think about it, if the item doesn’t sell, it is of no value to us.
You can donate at any of our five King County Thrift Stores or our Georgetown Office.
- Men’s, Women’s, Children’s Clothing and Shoes
- Clothing Accessories — Hats, Mittens, Scarves, Ties, Socks, Underwear
- Personal Accessories — Purses, Belts, Bags, Jewelry
Electronics (See recycling below)
- Bring to our Georgetown office at 5950 Fourth Ave. South
- Beds — No mattresses as donations.
- Bed Frames — metal bed frames & wood slat frames with all hardware
- Bookcases – no assembled shelving units
- Chairs — upholstered living room or reclining chair
- Chests of Drawers
- China Cabinets
- Futons with frame and mattress
- Kitchen Tables
- Lamps and light fixtures, excluding fluorescents and halogens
- Linens (table top, sheets, pillows, blankets, towels)
- Rugs — area rugs and throw rugs with no stains
- Small Household Appliances — toasters, blenders, coffee pots, mixers, toaster ovens
- Microwaves — working
- Books — hardback, paperback, and children’s books
- CDs, records, tapes
- DVDs and Videos
- BBQ grills — no propane tanks on gas grills
- Bicycles with working gears, brakes, seats, and handle bars
- Lawn and Patio Furniture
- Lawnmowers — working and drained of all fluids
- Sporting Goods (no skis, boots OK)
Other Miscellaneous Goods
- Exercise Equipment in good working condition
- Musical Instruments
- Safes with working lock or key
- Toiletries — unopened only
- Wheel chairs with all parts in working condition
Items We Cannot Sell:
- All appliances
- Air conditioners
- Anything marked “poison” or “hazardous material” (including acids, pesticides, paints, oils)
- Anything needing repair or reupholstering
- Anything with noticeable stains of any kind
- Automobile Parts
- Baby items – cribs, play pens, high-chairs, or car seats, changing tables, safety gates — due to safety regulations
- Baseboard or gas heaters
- Bathroom chairs or shower chairs due to sanitary reasons
- Bath tubs
- Captain or platform bed frames
- Car batteries
- Carpets — no remnants or previously affixed carpets
- Copy machines and printers
- Detergents or cleaners
- Entertainment centers
- Fireplace inserts
- Flammable Products
- Hospital beds
- Hot water tanks
- Large household appliances including washers, dryers, refrigerators
- Liquids, including but not limited to cleaning supplies, anything previously opened, hazardous or poisonous liquids.
- Lumber or scrap wood
- Microwaves older than five years
- Ping-Pong tables
- Pool tables
- Shower doors
- Single pane windows
- Sleeper sofas or hide-a-beds
- Swing sets
- Toiletries that have been opened or used
- Washing Machines
Items We Accept to be Recycled — Drop Off Only at our Georgetown Office at 5950 Fourth Ave. South in Seattle.
- Bicycles — working or not
- All functional laptops and cell phones with good screens and no major damage
Request a Donation Pickup Online or by Phone
PLEASE NOTE: We are currently scheduling pick ups for 1-2 weeks from today. Please consider bringing your items to one of our Donation Centers.
In King County, we offer pickups for gently-used furniture, as well as for large donations of clothing and household goods.
Every donation pickup we do costs us about $84. To ensure that we are maximizing our limited funds to help our neighbors in need, if you are able, we hope that you can drop off your donations at a Donation Center near you.
Please remember that because we sell things to support our programs, we cannot accept donations that we cannot sell. We can’t sell stuff that is torn, ripped, stained, wet, broken or worn out. When we have to pay to dispose of unsellable donations, money is taken away from our mission of helping those in need.
Your donations to St. Vincent de Paul are tax-deductible.